UN Women Nepal Vacancy Announcement
– Nepalaya Jobs
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Nepal, UN Women focuses on strengthening women’s voice, agency and leadership across sectors to advance women’s rights, provide space for women’s meaningful participation, and contribute to tangible differences in their lives. Under the overarching Nepal Country Office’s Strategic Note (SN) for the period 2018-2022, UN Women focuses on two programmatic areas, inclusive governance and women’s economic empowerment.
In prioritizing gender-responsive and inclusive governance, UN Women Nepal seeks to advance women’s political empowerment and leadership and enhance women’s access to justice in Nepal’s federal structure. Towards this goal, UN Women will work with elected officials, civil servants and citizens at all levels. The approach will extend beyond policy and law reform, to implementation and monitoring of policies, supporting the development of plans and budgets, enhancing the capacity of key government officials, and promoting gender equality and social inclusion in local governance. In addition, UN Women will work together with excluded groups to support their active participation and enable their voices to be heard.
READ THIS ALSO
N Women also seeks to advance women’s economic empowerment by promoting increased income security, better jobs and economic independence of women and girls, especially those from vulnerable and excluded groups. For this purpose, UN Women will foster an enabling environment at home and in the community to address discriminatory social and economic norms and structural barriers, to ensure gender-responsiveness in the development and implementation of macroeconomic and sectoral policies, and to leverage women’s income generation capacity for advancing their empowerment and leadership. By adopting a substantive equality approach to women’s economic empowerment, UN Women aims to deepen its support beyond enhancing the skills and economic competency of women, to also addressing the social dimensions of their challenges and inequalities.
Throughout its work, UN Women seeks to contribute to transforming discriminatory social norms and eliminating harmful practices and behaviours, including violence against women. All of the above contribute to fulfilling Nepal’s obligations to international treaties and commitments, including regular reporting on progress related to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the Beijing Platform for Action (BPFA) and to the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW).
The Programme Specialist will play a key strategic leadership and management role in an expanding area of UN Women’s work in Nepal with an estimated financial portfolio of approximately USD 4-5 million annually. The scope of work requires experience and in-depth understanding of gender equality and women’s empowerment with thematic expertise on inclusive governance and women’s economic empowerment to translate UN Women’s Strategic Note 2018-2022 into effective programmes and results.
Reporting to the Deputy Representative, the Programme Specialist exercises overall responsibility for planning, implementing, and managing UN Women interventions under his/her portfolio. She/he works in close collaboration with the operations team, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Position: Programme Specialist [Unit Manager Inclusive governance and women’s economic empowerment]
- Location: Kathmandu, NEPAL
- Type of Contract: FTA International
- Post Level: P-4
- Languages Required: English
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women’s studies, economics, international development, or a related field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible experience at the national or international level in design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
- Technical experience on inclusive governance and women’s economic empowerment
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset;
- Experience working in the UN System is an asset;
- Experience in leading/managing a team is an asset:
- Experience working in developing countries and federal contexts is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset;
- Knowledge of Nepali is an asset.
Application Deadline: 7 Jan 2020
MOST POPULAR JOBS
- Sunrise Bank Vacancy Announcement
- Kamana Sewa Bikas Bank Vacancy Announcement
- UNICEF Vacancy Announcement
- Career Opportunities at NMB Bank Ltd
- Vacancy Announcement From Save the Children
- Vacancy Announcement from Practical Action
- Civil Bank Career Opportunity