Nepalayajobs/ Marie Stopes Nepal Vacancy Announcement for Finance Director
Job Framework Finance Director
The Finance Director reports to the Executive Director (ED) and is responsible to ensure that all financial risks and projected returns are considered and robustly evaluated when making strategic and financial decisions.
The Finance Director is a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) and supports to achieve sustainable growth through improved financial management to drive the organisation’s performance.
The Finance Director must ensure that donor financial policies are implemented while observing the needs of the country programme’s local statutory requirements.
The Finance Director must build and maintain a motivated and productive local finance team, developing proper monitoring and follow-up systems to ensure financial sustainability and providing advice and support to the programme on financial management.
MOST VISITED JOBS
The core responsibility of the Finance Director is to provide strategic financial management, vision and leadership for the country programme while ensuring compliance with all local accounting, legal, and donor reporting requirements.
The role also contributes to furthering SPN mission: Children by Choice, not Chance.
Provide strategic and functional leadership as part of the management team
• Deliver sustainable business growth through the adoption of commercial business practices (as part of the SMT).
• Provide financial analysis to help drive strategic planning and aid the development of the annual business plan and forecasts. The financial analysis should cover business strategies, new products and services, and key service channels and donor relationships and should highlight financial returns and sustainability as well as the service impact.
• Provide ideas and influence to expand our social business, both private and public sector initiatives, and drive improvement of key efficiency areas.
• Define and track financial indicators that will improve the cost efficiency of
• Develop and maintain robust financial systems to capture data and maintain its integrity and security.
• Be accountable for the maintenance of control systems to prevent fraud or to mitigate its impact.
Devise accurate, realistic and inclusive budgets for
• Prepare annual operational and capital budgets to guide and plan the optimal use of organizations and donors’ resources to achieve the organization’s objectives and maximize impact.
• Monitor and manage expenditure trends and provide timely advice and analysis of potential over or underspends to the SMT, to allow SMT to make required adjustments to meet financial goals.
• Monitor programme support costs and ensure that the
• Provide annual training and continuous support to the SMT, budget holders and project managers to ensure proper understanding, ownership of and engagement with financial results and programme budgets.
• Provide sound financial advice to the SMT colleagues as appropriate.
Oversee and ensure financial systems, procedures, and reports, that enable efficient and compliant use of funds and assets
• Interpret financial data, provide financial advice to solve complex financial problems.
• Coordinate financial reporting, briefing with donors and government entities. Prepare donor/ government financial reports in line with donor reporting requirements and standards.
• Ensure any changes in legislation or
• Provide technical financial staff training where necessary to ensure understanding and compliance with all financial policies.
• Oversee the
• Ensure that ‘’Delegation of Authorities Matrix’’ (authorization levels for ED and SMT) for the local legal entities (branch office, or subsidiary etc) are aligned with the local as well as organizational and donor requirements and appropriately meet the needs of the business and projects.
• Be a catalyst in the implementation of financial best practices.
Effective management and oversight of working capital, investments and financial obligations
• Oversee cash flow management and forecasting to ensure that adequate funds are available for programme needs. Monitor the cash requirements and amounts drawn down against programmatic requirements.
• Ensure that foreign currency management is done in an efficient and effective way.
• Manage funds, debtors, creditors and advances from donors and their accurate recording and regular monthly reconciliation on the Balance Sheet. Ensure that working capital is managed efficiently and proactively.
• Ensure that all statutory requirements are met on time, including payroll taxes, other relevant taxes, income tax, retirement obligations, insurance etc. Ensure that the programme complies with all regulatory requirements of local statutory bodies.
• Ensure contractual obligations are financially sound and appropriate for the organization.
• Be accountable for the safeguarding of the country programme’s assets by having appropriate controls and procedures in place including insurance cover and timely assessment of impairment losses in line with the applicable international standards (IFRS).
Responsible for accurate and timely group reporting, while dealing with internal and external auditors
• Ensure timely and accurate preparation and submission of the organization’s monthly financial management accounts.
• Ensure compliance with the financial components of the donor Partnership manual and with the group finance manual.
• Coordinate preparation of statutory accounts and annual audit in line with group reporting timetables.
• Ensure full compliance with all donor compliance requirements including annual donor audits.
• Prepare donor financial reports in line with donor reporting requirements and standards
• Liaise with internal auditor and external auditors.
The leadership of a team that is developing and improving continuously
• Lead and manage members of the finance team to build their capacity and strengthen competency and professional development.
• Conduct regular team performance appraisals, monitoring progress and setting objectives.
• Review the team structure of the finance department to ensure that all roles and responsibilities are relevant to the needs and demands of the country programme.
Proactive risk management
• Understand and mitigate key elements of risk profile.
• Ensure effective and efficient systems are in place to implement and monitor ‘’Due Diligence’’ and ‘’Data Validation standards.
• Maintain appropriate insurance policies to cover all insurable risk with a reputable insurer.
• Monitor all open legal issues involving and the industry legal issues which have the potential to impact our business.
• Manage any third parties to which accounting or finance functions have been outsourced.
• At least 8 years of working experience in managing finances in I/NGO or relevant sectors
• Demonstrable experience in a leadership role for a large division or company.
• Experience in strategic planning and execution of plans to achieve objective and targets.
• Demonstrated success in formulating policy, and developing and implementing strategies and procedures.
• Excellent knowledge of financial management systems and reporting.
• Hands-on experience with computerized Accounting Systems; Knowledge of Sun Systems is desirable.
• Knowledge of donor contract requirements for budgeting and reporting.
• Ability to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level government and donor officials.
• Experience of working with colleagues in geographically separate locations.
READ THIS JOBS ANNOUNCEMENT
Qualifications and Training (essential/desirable)
• Qualified Accountant (CA, ACCAessential).
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent (essential).
• Fluency in English (written and spoken, full business proficiency).
• Strategic thinker, excellent analytical skills.
• Strong results orientation.
• Solution-focused and IT Literate
• Excellent leadership and management aptitude leading diverse teams
• Interest in public health, particularly in sexual and reproductive health.
• Flexibility to operate in a changing environment.
• Able to communicate effectively (both written and oral) at all levels.
• Cross-functional team player.
• Mission-driven: With unwavering commitment, we exist to empower women and men to have children by choice not chance.
• Client centered: We are passionate about our clients and dedicate our efforts to delivering agreed objectives to the highest possible quality.
• Accountable: We are accountable for our actions and take responsibility for everything we do to ensure long term sustainability and increased impact.
• Courageous: We recruit and nurture talented, passionate and brave people who have the courage to push boundaries, make tough decisions and challenge others in line with our mission